Monday, July 27, 2009

Week 7, thing 16

In working with wikis I looked up Library Success; A best pratices wiki. I then directed my attention to Collaborative tools for librarians. I was introduced to a very popular wiki called Wikipedia. This site is fully editable which means you can edit, visit, read, re-organize, and update at will. There are two modes, document mode- create documents, and thread mode- discussion on document. Wiki allows people to collaborate, add, edit, and give insite on any given topic.
Wiki is interesting to me because it allows anyone to take part in a type of discussion that may not take place if not on a computer. What I mean is that you may be shy or live in an area with little people. Wiki and Web 2.0 allows for people from across the globe to communicate in a safe environment.
An application that will work well in schools is Documents mode and thread mode. A teacher or students may put a document for social studies including the most famous women in America. The teacher and other classmates may add to the thread by discussing opinions, or adding to the document by giving examples of more famous women. A teacher can keep up with the discussion and grade by participation. In a library, the librarian my have students give the source as well as a brief example of how they came up with the source.

No comments:

Post a Comment